The Bellesini Academy philosophy is simple: education is the key to escaping poverty. We are committed to ensuring that every Bellesini graduate attend a college preparatory high school and eventually earn a four year college degree. Our programs are designed to prepare students for success in private college preparatory high schools.
In order to provide students with the extra support they require to achieve their potential, the Academy is in session eleven months a year, offering more than 2000 hours of programming annually. Beyond its academic program, the school offers afternoon enrichment and recreational activities, supervised evening study, and a four week summer program in order to foster the personal and intellectual development of its students. Each school day includes nearly twelve hours of instruction, recreation, and academic support:
- 7:30-7:50 Breakfast
- 7:50-8:20 Homeroom & Morning Assembly
- 8:20-3:00 Academic Classes
- 3:00-5:00 After-School Activities, Sports and Clubs
- 5:00-6:30 Students Go Home for Dinner
- 6:30-8:30 Students Return for Supervised Evening Study
This extended school day, which operates eleven months a year, brings the advantages enjoyed by suburban students to at-risk youth in the City of Lawrence. These advantages include:
- Rigorous academic curriculum taught in classes limited to 15 students, taught by highly qualified professional faculty, with a special emphasis on literacy and writing;
- After-school activities such as clubs, team athletics, recreational activities, and enrichment programs help students develop their non-academic talents and interests;
- Evening study sessions provide a quiet and structured environment in which students are offered one-on-one tutoring while they complete an average of two hours of nightly homework;
- Summer program offers a safe and fun four-week summer camp experience that continues building academic skills while introducing students to new recreational pursuits in a college preparatory campus setting; and
- Good nutrition is provided at breakfast and lunch each day throughout the school year.
In addition, a High School Placement Program guides students through SSAT/HSPT preparation, admissions applications, admissions interviews, and financial aid applications. An Alumni Support Program helps graduates transition from Bellesini to high school and provides support services throughout high school and college